Monitoring and minimising waste was one of the key priorities for the project.
At the BBC Drama Village the project team:
– Used the Constructing Excellence Green Compass scheme to source accredited local waste handlers.
– Promoted re-use of materials within the community.
– 24.97% of the total recycled waste was given to community organisations such as Reseiclo.
– Sought to eliminate waste at source, i.e design out waste and determine innovative ways of re-using those materials left over from the construction process.
– 40,000 tonnes of spoil has been retained on site as opposed to being disposed of elsewhere.
– 5,000 tons of this waste was incorporated back into the development and the remaining material was processed on site for future re-use.
– Sought to use re-cycled materials.
– Placed emphasis on sourcing local materials and resources.
– 78% of suppliers came from within a 20 mile radius.
– 96% of waste produced was diverted from landfill.
– The plasterboard re-cycled on the project would be enough to build 8 small family homes.
Atlantic’s unique audit trail for waste processing was a key requirement on this project.